Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading data from parallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sputnik

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have conected to computers (Pentium 1) via the parallel port and have successfully done a direct connection (Win98SE). I've been trying to switch the port from output to input in QBasic, but with no success. Does anyone have a QB4.5 example that may illustrated how to do this.

Thanks,
Sputnik :idea:

the data address different from status and control address
data out ->0x378
control input ->0x37a
status input ->0x379

try to read from those address

to send a byte to the printer, simply do an out instruction with dx containing 0x378 and al containing the byte. to get the status byte from the printer, do an in instruction with dx containing 0x379, and then looking in CPU register al for the result. to command the device to change its behavior, for example to "enable interrupts", put the appropriate byte in al and do an out to port 0x37a.

I'm trying to change the Data bits of the parallel port (ECP) from output to inputs and not have to read from Status pins.

i tried to do that, but it was not work;
i think you masy use status port as i told you before..
thanks

Maybe look in Setup
Ecp+Epp
or Bi-directional

i tried that but it dosen't work;
i think you may start thinking of status register

I've got it working, apart from choosing ECP instead of Normal in BIOS (thanks Cortex), it was also the cable I was using.

I was using a 25 pin male to male parallel cable, which wasn't pin-for-pin, wires were crossed and so wouldnt work for my application of using a computer to send data and use another to receive. So I used another cable (25 pin male to female) connected all the ground pins and after setting bit 5 of Control Register high, I grounded a few data pins and my little program displayed 0 for the grounded pins, the rest were pulled high inside the computer.

My main aim is just to test the capability of receiving data, might be useful for another project, I'm thinking of making a PC oscilloscope. I've seen many posts on this forum.

the parallel type of my computer has normal, bi-directional, and ECP.
i should choose which one?

Well, bi-directional is basically the same as ECP, although I think it could mean EPP, in which different handshaking is used. Although I've read that ECP has a more complex handshake if you want to implement it into a microcontroller that interfaces to the parallel port.

How do I implement handshaking, all I've been doing is writing data to the data port and it sends it through without any handshaking, the same when receiving data. How do I get it so that the computer reads the data when my micro controller has generated the appropiate handshaking and vice versa.

i want to understand protocal problem about parallel read and write.
i do my best to read data from parallel, but i find it is not reliable, some datas is always wrong.
can you give me some practical codes?

This is a simple program that I wrote, it isn't finished yet. It can be used to see the bits set and to set bits on the data port of the parallel port and is not very useful but fun, for me at least.

It DOESN'T run on WinXP, unfortunately! So you'll have to use Win9x. The WIN95IO.DLL file must be put into the 'system' directory.

I'm still working on this project, I need to purchase more PICs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back