Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Read system time to RTC via USB, using a PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sankey88

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I face a small challenge.
I'm designing an app which when plugged into the USB port of a PC, must read and store the PC time on a RTC chip (DS1307). Basically, I need to sync the time.
Please help me on this ..

You can use Microchip USB stack to connect PIC to PC via USB

The problem you described is to be handled in PC side... write an software that sends PC time via USB whenever it detects connection from the specified USB ID.. and your firmware should made to handle this...

sankey88

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Sure, will try n work on it and get back. Thank You :)

I think it is cheaper and easier by using usb to rs232 chip than using real usb stack.
You just need to send pc time to PIC and set time to RTC.
Using real usb is too waste.

sankey88

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Its very simple yaar.

Create a virtual serial port using a PIC18F2550. Use vb.net in PC side just send time via serial port control which is inbuilt with .net.

If u have any doubt post here.

Guys! Thank you for all the tips, but it's really not helping me all that much. I'm a layman you see.. I need more help. Your posts seem a bit too vague to me. Please give me more details. Ppl sayin that i can use stacks/vb.net/etc doesn really help. Gimme some links to tutorials or pls teach me. I'll be very greatful to you guys..

Simply just write code in vb.net
you have to take system date and send it your USB port
In the PIC programming read the data arrange it
and Display on whatever you want

Regards,
Ganesh
Embspark Technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor