Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Re: Want to know simulating absorbing materials in HFSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heedavid

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
absorbing materials in hfss

Dear all,

I was just wondering if any of you have ever tried, and successfully, modelled absorbers (absorbing materials) in HFSS?

I was told that assigning PMLs would do it, but I would prefer if it is done as a 'single layer' of lossy dielectric material. Have any of you HFSS users ever tried to accomplish that in your simulations? Please do upload your HFSS file if you did.

Else, if any of you have an inkling, or read about it in papers/e-books/articles, or have a general know-how in my request, please do enlighten me. :)

Many thanks in advance and best regards,
David

hfss file absorber

I just have the same question

If you want to design an absorber (real, physical), look for something else. PML is non-physical. Single, homogeneouse layer of any real material is unlikely to perform well as a "general" purpose absorber.

To Loucy and fellow readers,

I think you mis-intepreted the question, or I didn't explain myself too informatively. I'm NOT designing absorbers. :) I am, indeed, referring to those commercial RF/microwave absorbers. But I'm HOPING *fingers crossed* that some readers here might have successfully modelled such, as a layer in their HFSS simulations. I'm hoping that some readers who do radar arrays might have used absorbers in their design.

Yes, I do know a PML is non-physical. Yes, I do know that a single homogenous layer of any real material is unlikely to perform well as a general purpose absorber. I do however have to point out that, a HFSS representative himself did say their PMLs could be used as a 'pseudo-absorbing material'. It makes sense in a certain way, but I'm unsure of how to correctly assigning them as a single layer of desired tweaked properties.

Hope this is clear. Many thanks.

Best regards,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back