Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

re: charge pump design

Status
Not open for further replies.

vijay_nag

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

hi!

can anybody suggest me any articles or links giving indepth explanation about charge pump design?

regards,
vijay

Hi
here are some papers about CP's design , i think the first two are the most important.

[1] W. Rhee, “Design of High-Performance CMOS Charge-Pumps in Phase LockedLoops”, in Proc. ISCAS, vol.2, pp 545 – 548, 1999

[2] Mohamed EL.H. & F. Yuan“ Architecture and design consideration of
CMOS Charge pumps for PLL’s”,Ryerson Uni.

[3] Jeffrey S. Pattavina, “Charge Pump PLL Analysis “, August 06,2001

[4] B. Razavi “Design of Analog Integrated Circuits ”McGraw-Hill ,PP 566-567,2001

[5] Esdras Juárez-Hernández & Alejandro D. Sánchez “A Novel CMOS Charge-pump Circuit With Positive Feedback For PLL Applications” Proc. ICECS, 2001

contact me if you need more help or if you couldnot download them,

best regards,..

Mohamed Mohsen

hi!

i tried searching the first 2 artilces in google, but i could not get the links. can you please send me the links?

regards,
vijay

what is so special about designing charge pump.if u know basic transistor sizing u should be able to do that.just calculate the amount of current to be sourced and sunk by the charge pump and size the transistors accordingly,also u have charge pump structures available to reduce charge sharing and also minimize the effects of current mismatch in the charge pump.

regards
amarnath

Hi
Here is the first paper as i think you will not be abale to download it from google
for free.

Mohamed Mohsen

join this topic for more about PFD/CP's

redards

thank you very much

Added after 1 minutes:

I think what trouble me most is the matching of the PMOS source and NMOS sink.

What is charge pump?and the role of it is what?

Charge-pump voltage converters use ceramic or electrolytic capacitors to store and transfer
energy.
there are not many info about charge pump online,i mean google,maybe u can refer to pdf file below.

What is the main role of charge pump circuit, I mean specially in PLL circuits? The above pm just talk about DC-DC conversion capability of them!

charch pump has a very critical role in a pll design.

the basic parts of the pLL are as follows:

O- comparator(PFD) -> Loop Filter ->VCO---
^_________ frequency divider________|

actually, the charge pump is part of the loop filter.
it charges/discharges the capacitor(filter) according to the signals entering the comparator.

the loop filter then controls the frequency by varying the voltage, thus VCO.

hope this helps..

Here is another one on this topic:

A charge pump is a phase error intergrator.

Two linear current sources , one postive and one negative (pumps), either add charge to (phase lagging error), or remove charge from (phase leading error) a capacitor (the accumulator).

You will need to study "Feedback Control Theory" to understand circuits more completely.

Some online text:

https://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Control-theorySome online text:

https://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Control-theory

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Use Google for more articles

Status
Not open for further replies.