Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rc phase shift oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroboy

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
the frequency of oscillation of a rc phaseshift oscillator is
57_1304578316.gif

where N is the number of rc stages....
please tell me how we can arrive at this expression ..... i can't find out a proper derivation...thanks in advance..

The expression (for a high-pass RC oscillator) is correct for N=3. If you increase the number of RC stages, the oscillation frequency increases. So the general expression is obviously wrong.

thank you .. can u please tell me how to select R and C accordingly for 4 stage rc to get 180 degree phase shift ,say for 1KHz frequency??

and also.. in 3 stage .. can i assume C and find R using the above eqn.. or should there be any other relation between r and c for 180 degree phase shift ?

As said, the frequency expression for the 3 stage RC-oscillator in the link is correct, you'll also find it at Wikipedia (with an exact derivation). But the network equations for the coupled RC circuit are rather long winded. Thus I prefer a simulator (e.g. LTSpice) to calculate the transmission function and oscillation frequency.

thank you .. can u please tell me how to select R and C accordingly for 4 stage rc to get 180 degree phase shift ,say for 1KHz frequency??

and also.. in 3 stage .. can i assume C and find R using the above eqn.. or should there be any other relation between r and c for 180 degree phase shift ?

Have a look at this link:

**broken link removed**

An expression for the 4 stage network is given there:

"Calculate R to complement C at oscillation frequency. There is no trivial way to estimate the oscillation frequency better than within a factor of two or so short of using the derived equations. A 3-section RC uses f = 1 / (2 * pi * SQRT(6) * R * C), but we have a four section RC, so we use the following: *

f = 1 / (2 * pi * SQRT(10 / 7) * R * C) (for a 4-section RC)
R = 1 / (2 * pi * SQRT(10 / 7) * f * C)"

You can also find a description of a method for solving the network here:

http://www.crbond.com/papers/ent23.pdf

Hi Electrician, the given formula for the 4-element phase shift oscillator is not correct. The factor in the denominator D must be: SQRT(7/10)
In case somebody is interested in the derivation - here it is:

The transfer function H(s) for 4 equal RC sections (T=RC) in series can be calculated (by hand or using a symbolic analyzer ) to be:

H(s)=1/D(s) with D(s)=1 + 10*(sT) + 15*(sT)^2 + 7*(sT)^3 + (sT)^4.

At resonant frequency H(jw) must be negative and real (phase shift -180deg) - thus IMG(D(jw))=0

After replacing s=jw we get a simple equation:

10wT-7(wT)^3=0

This leads to

w=(1/T)*SQRT(10/7)=1/(T*SQRT(7/10))

There are two possible ways to arrange a 4 stage phase shift network using equal Rs and Cs; see the image. You have obtained a result for one of them. Repeat your calculations for the other topology and compare the results. Then look again at the circuit in the web page:

**broken link removed**

and tell me if you still think there is an error there.

29_1341958656.png

Results from a simulation are:

For the first circuit (RCRCRCRC):
F = 1 / (2 * pi * SQRT(7 / 10) * R * C)

For the second circuit (CRCRCRCR):
F = 1 / (2 * pi * SQRT(10 / 7) * R * C)

I used the free version of SIMetrix SIMPLIS to look at phase shift vs frequency for the two circuits you showed in post 9, with R=10K and C=100nF.

One of the formulas predicted F=190.23Hz, while the other predicted F=133.16. In the simulation, those were the frequencies where phase shift=180 degrees for the two circuits. So - good agreement between theory and simulation.

If you're looking for good free simulation software, I recommend SIMetrix SIMPLIS.

Free simulation software I've tried:
  • CircuitMaker "student edition":
    Very easy to use, with a nice user interface, but has serious bugs - sometimes gives wildly wrong answers.
  • LTSpice:
    Very good but difficult to use - has a user interface from hell IMHO.
  • SIMetrix SIMPLIS:
    Good and easy to use - best of both worlds.

There are two possible ways to arrange a 4 stage phase shift network using equal Rs and Cs; see the image. You have obtained a result for one of them. Repeat your calculations for the other topology and compare the results. Then look again at the circuit in the web page:
and tell me if you still think there is an error there.

OK, I see - and I agree that the formula cited by you was for a high-pass phase shift network.
On the other hand, I must confess, thinking of a phase shift oscillator only the low-pass version comes into my mind immediately (because of its advantages if compared with the high-pass version).
Therefore, I have derived the formula for this kind of phase shift network only. But, of course, the same principle can be applied for the high-pass section.
By the way: In post#8 once I have used the term "resonant frequency". This obviously is not correct. It is simply the "oscillation frequency".
LvW

Status
Not open for further replies.