Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Rail to rail op-amp versus simple op-amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrinalmani

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the difference between rail to rail op-amp and a simple op-amp. As far as I know rail-rail amplifiers can work with input voltages very close to the power rails. The question is... can a simple op-amp not work close to rail voltages. If not, what irregularities can be expected as the input approaches the rail? (A hardware implementation of a NON rail-rail op-amp gave incorrect results, but after replacing it with a rail-rail op-amp, the results were ok... but why?)
Thank you

There are different types of rail-to-rail opamps: some are only R-R on the output, some are R-R on both input and output. Many non-R-R opamps can go all the way to ground on the input, but not to the positive rail. You need to look at the specific op-amp to determine what it can do; they're all different. Some will just saturate if the input goes outside the allowable range; some will exhibit phase-reversal (the output starts going in the wrong direction).

Phase reversal! Yes exactly.... this indeed happens, but the reason is beyond my comprehension. How can this be theoretically explained?
And I have also given up finding the reason as to why a precision rectifier's output bounces back during the negative cycle. All books give methods to correct it but I have not yet found why it actually occours..
Please help

"Simple op-amp" is a rather vague term. Each OP as different properties, also rail-to-rail OPs. It would be reasonable to discuss the problem referring a specific circuit and OP types. Phase reversal has happened with a number of classical OPs, but it has become rare with recent types.

Re: Phase reversal

Phase reversal! Yes exactly.... this indeed happens, but the reason is beyond my comprehension. How can this be theoretically explained?
G00GLE finds the explanation easily, s. here.

This was a great attachment! Thanks a lot...
By "simple" I meant the ones whose datasheet do not mention rail-rail capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.