Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radio scrambling for normal UHF radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

NZVengeance

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Let me explain my problem then what im after.

I am part of a paintball team that use normal UHF radios for communications. The problem we have it other teams can scan for our channel and listen in.

I am looking for a reasonably cost effective means of making a device that could be integrated into our radios so only we can understand what we are saying.

I was thinking of having to small devices in the radio one between the radio and the speaker and another between the radio and the mic.

Between the mic:
Take the signal and somehow ramp up the frequency so it was just a very loud high pitch noise.

Between the speaker:
take the signal and bring it back down to normal so it could be heard.

I don't know if this is the best way or if it is even viable.
Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

radio+scrambling

Your basic problem is that all of the simple methods are know. The other side can decode them.

You will have to do an expensive method such as digitizing the voice and exclusive OR ing it with a code word of N bits in duration.

A cheaper method is to have a translation from normal language words to the real meaning. For instance, "river" means that everyone should look straight ahead at zero degrees of relative azimuth to see something important.

Re: Radio scrambling

None of the other people over here use anything. just straight normal UHF radios.
we are a small community (maybe 200 people)

So the simple method should work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.