Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

radio receiver dynamic range vs. spectrum analyzer dynamic range

Status
Not open for further replies.

robismyname

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
According to this article:

https://www.edn.com/design/test-and...ge-specification-in-modern-spectrum-analyzers

Dynamic Range is defined as "the difference between the highest and the lowest power signals that you can simultaneously measure on a spectrum analyzer"

Dynamic range as I know it to be has a different meaning.

1) As in a receiver the dynamic range is the lowest signal that the receiver can detect in the presence of the larger signal

2) As in the case of dynamic range testing two tone/signals entering an amplifier creates a 3rd order inter-modulation that can be calculated mathematically to exist at the same center frequency of your desired signal. As you increase the two tone/signals you also increase the 3rd order inter-mod product (not linear in relationship). There comes a point where the 3rd order inter-mod product amplitude becomes large enough that the receiver can no longer detect the wanted signal. So the dynamic range would be the difference between the 3rd order inter-mod level and the level of your wanted signal ( that is being 3dB above reference sensitivity).

So my question are:

1) As the DR testing is concerned. Is it the increased amplitude of the two tone signal or the increased amplitude of the 3rd order inter-mod that cause the wanted signal to go undetected by the receiver?
2) Is my definitions of DR more accurate than the articles definition of DR?
3) Is my definition/understanding of dynamic range flawed?
4) Is the articles definition of DR accurate enough to be considered correct?
5) Does the definition of DR change based on the application? For instance is the definition of DR for a SA different than the definition of DR for a radio transceiver?
6) My transceiver DR was measured as 60dB, should my SA have a better DR than my transceiver?
7) What is the typical DR of a SA?

According to this article:

https://www.edn.com/design/test-and...ge-specification-in-modern-spectrum-analyzers

Dynamic Range is defined as "the difference between the highest and the lowest power signals that you can simultaneously measure on a spectrum analyzer"

Dynamic range as I know it to be has a different meaning.

1) As in a receiver the dynamic range is the lowest signal that the receiver can detect in the presence of the larger signal

2) As in the case of dynamic range testing two tone/signals entering an amplifier creates a 3rd order inter-modulation that can be calculated mathematically to exist at the same center frequency of your desired signal. As you increase the two tone/signals you also increase the 3rd order inter-mod product (not linear in relationship). There comes a point where the 3rd order inter-mod product amplitude becomes large enough that the receiver can no longer detect the wanted signal. So the dynamic range would be the difference between the 3rd order inter-mod level and the level of your wanted signal ( that is being 3dB above reference sensitivity).

So my question are:

1) As the DR testing is concerned. Is it the increased amplitude of the two tone signal or the increased amplitude of the 3rd order inter-mod that cause the wanted signal to go undetected by the receiver?
2) Is my definitions of DR more accurate than the articles definition of DR?
3) Is my definition/understanding of dynamic range flawed?
4) Is the articles definition of DR accurate enough to be considered correct?
5) Does the definition of DR change based on the application? For instance is the definition of DR for a SA different than the definition of DR for a radio transceiver?
6) My transceiver DR was measured as 60dB, should my SA have a better DR than my transceiver?
7) What is the typical DR of a SA?

A SA is a Receiver.
The DR of a SA will change when you change your Span(BW), Sweep Time, RBW,
Attenuation etc...

Do a 2-tone TOI test on a SA (F2 = F1 + 20MHz), and increase the Pin from Pin min
to Pin min + 20dBm .
Repeat the test with F2 = F1 + 20kHz, and span down as much as you can and still
see all 4 Tones.

Repeat the above tests, but now set the SA's Attenuation to 0dB then 20dB.

This will give you a warm and fuzzy about the DR of the SA. You can also look at
your SA's Spec sheet to get an idea of it's limitations. All modern SA's have
better DR than 60dB(Assuming your BW isn't too large).

Cheers

I think the dynamic range mean the total input power range within it the RCV can still detect the useful signal. In case no strong interference signal present, the lower of this range will be limit by you RCV's NF and upper limit should be your P1dB at which your useful signal will become heavily distort. However when there are strong interference signal present, the useful signal is only a small portion of the total input power, the linearity of your RCV will be controled by the strong interference signal. If the interference signal will generate some IMD or spurs signal at the same frequency of your useful signal then your RCV will have problem even when your RCV is not heavily driven into compression. So what I saw my customer request us to do a RCV design they always ask for NF, P1DB and OIP3 at the same time.
That's all my thinking about.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back