Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radiation pattern of single patch, E-plane looks unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminator3

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to calculate radiation pattern of a patch antenna using this formulas:
C=299792458;
Freq=10.525*10^9;

'wavelength in free space (in mm)
L0=1000*C/Freq
L0 = 28.48384399

'width of patch (mm / mm)
w=8.8/L0
w = 0.308947065

'length of patch (between radiating edges)
l=6.03/L0
l = 0.211698955

'substrate height
h=1.6/L0
h = 0.056172194

Hplane(x)=Sin( (2*Pi*w/2) *Cos(x) ) / ( (2*Pi*w/2)*Cos(x)) *Sin(x)
Function Hplane(x) is defined

Eplane(x)=Sin( (2*Pi*h/2) *Cos(x) ) / ( (2*Pi*h/2)*Cos(x)) *Cos((2*Pi*l/2)*Cos(x) )
Function Eplane(x) is defined

Plot(20*Log10(Hplane(Pi/2+x*Pi/180)),xMin=-90,xMax=90)
Plot done

Plot(20*Log10(Eplane(Pi/2+x*Pi/180)),xMin=-90,xMax=90)
Plot done
It can be directly pasted to freeware program called SpeqMath.
(**broken link removed**)

Here is radiation patterns for E and H planes:
radiation_pattern.png
As you can see E-plane red curve looks not right (as i think).
I searched for some radiation pattern images in internet and found out that E-plane and H-plane pattern does not differ so much as on my image. Also i checked formulas many times and all seems to be ok. What's wrong here with red curve?

-3dB patch beamwidth for H-plane looks normal (86deg pattern), while E-plane never reaches -3dB, so beamwidth is 180deg! In real antennas i saw parameters around 90 deg for both planes of single patch antenna. I need to know this parameter more precisely.

Both, E-plane and H-plane patterns of patch antenna should be broad.

I don't know what is wrong in the calculation, but this tinny Matlab clone (SpeqMath) looks impressive for how many things can do for a computer program that has only 130 kb !!
Today programmers use many Mb's of resources just for simple arithmetic calculations.

Thank for posting. On your image E-plane looks nice, there is -3dB at about +-45deg, so -3dB beamwidth is 90deg. When i use formula it is never gets lower than -2dB. Formula is almost the same everywhere (books, papers). But also I convert to dB using 20*Log10. For example, when i calculate array factor (AF), beamwidth and side beams looks perfect (at -3dB level). But when i come to single element pattern, it is a little strange. I multiply AF by E-plane pattern, but as it is a little wrong, side beams too big, or i get 180deg beamwidth for single patch. I am going to found some paper with results on E-plane and calculate it using this formula to check the difference..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back