Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick push-pull transformer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowman1710

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've never wound a push-pull transformer by hand. Am I correct in saying that you wind the first half of the primary in one direction to the centre tap. Then wind the secondary layer in the opposite direction. Then the other half of the primary in the same direction as the first half from the centre tap? Many thanks in advance.

Wind everything in the same direction.
That is, if you want to maintain proper phasing.

Fold wire in half and wind both halves ,
then cut one end and reverse direction of one pair
then join either end for centre tap so both in phase. ( or dot on same side. of both halves)
Then they will be matched and in phase.

There are special winding methods to reduce interwinding capacitance and raise SRF as well as increase fill factor. Once done, use mylar tape or epoxy or polyurethane under vacuum to remove air bubbles.
I dont know but this may for enhancements. Lowering B sat inductance of high current side often uses Litz wire. Mylar, teflon, mica or polyamide tape improves HV isolation.

I agree with SunnySkyguy ..
which mode of control are you using , Voltage mode or Current Mode?
If Symmetrical traces and good winding is not there, u'll get in a serious trouble of FLUX IMBALANCE , if VOLTAGE mode is used,
However Current control mode will solve the above problem .
Also the push-pull transformer should not be designed with a magnetic material with a square loop. The normal resting point of the square loop material is at one end or the other, not in the center.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.