Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

quick fit contact charger troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonadgranny

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello there electronophiles.
I am trying to make a simple circuit which utilises one of these to charge a lithium battery. My idea is to create a removable 'docking' system which allows easy charging. the problem i am facing is that the module behaves strangely when using the systems i have tried out so far. If all goes well the indicator light turns red when the module detects a battery which needs charging. when i solder the connections this all works fine but when i use a non solder based method of contact the indicator light does not change to red. The other indicator LED stops blinking so it 'knows' something has changed but does not indicate that is is charging by lighting the red LED. Oddly enough when i unplug the usb cable from the module and reconnect it, it charges as expected through this non soldered connection.It suggests that perhaps the connection is not good enough maybe although that still doesnt quite explain why it works after the chip is restarted.... so far i have tried creating this 'quick fit' connection using wires soldered to little neodonium magnets which stick together when they come in contact with one another (as magnets do)and also wire soldered to tin foil with weights making the connection. both approaches suffer the same problem.
does anyone know what might be happening, have experience with these chips or have a possible solution to my little conundrum? any help would be very much appreciated. many thanks. Danny.

why it works after the chip is restarted

Static charge could be a culprit. It comes and goes unpredictably. Hard to detect.
Suppose one of your IC's goes into latchup, due to having its input exposed to an external voltage while the chip is unpowered?
Or exposed to a voltage outside of its safe range while the chip is powered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back