Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions working in hardware design

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiffyg89

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am a junior at an engineering school. My goal is to end up at a computer hardware industry after college. I am currently enrolled in a dual degree program where I get both a computer and an electrical engineering degree. The thing is I really do not like programming and am thinking about dropping the computer engineering side. So I would graduate with just a degree in Electrical Engineering. Will I have a chance of getting a job in the industry with just a B.S in Electrical?

On another note, whether or not I am going to drop the 2nd major, I am planning to go onto graduate school maybe for VLSI. Or is there another specialty I should be looking into?

Thanks in advanced!

To know programming is not the same as knowing all that's needed to make electrical/electronic hardware work or to know what prevents it from working. After all, the real work is done by hardware.

No one is skilled at everything. And even if you are, there's such a thing as being OVER-qualified.

More job openings are available for you if you have a Bachelor's in anything. As to whether there will be abundant job openings for anyone in English-speaking countries, that's another matter.

Your writing is nigh perfect. Consider combining your talents. Example, writing instruction manuals for electronic devices. (Few engineers are wonderful at it.)

Do you have an intuition about mechanical physics? Consider electronic device manufacturing, testing and research. Or construction of electronics installations. Or robotics.

Fluid dynamics? Solar? Nuclear? Etc.

If you intend to go into VLSI, chances are that you are doing digital and have to go with RTL coding, which isn't that far from programming. Besides, if you intend to go for design jobs, knowing how to script can do wonders to your productivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back