Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

questions on ON Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboss

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a few questions about ON resistance.

1) "MOSFET can serve as a switch; it can be on when it carries zero current." This statement somehow doesn't make sense to me. Ron is the equivalent resistance across D and S so if I_DS is zero, doesn't it mean infinite resistance, or an open ckt?

Is that statement measurable? I mean, how can I set up a test bench for the above statement and measure the ON resistance?

2) I need to figure out the ON resistance of an NFET with gate voltage and a passing voltage (Vref) given. So my coworker tells me, put a DC source (=Vref) at S and an AC source (AC magnitude =1, AC phase =0, DC voltage Vref) at D. Run the AC simulation and the ON resistance is the reciprocal of the drain current at DC.

Before running simulation, I don't expect to see any current at DC because I think as DC, VD=VS. However, after the AC sim, the AC voltage drop across D and S at 0Hz is 1V and there IS current flowing.

So my question is, intuitively, what should I expect to see the VDS at 0Hz?

A switch can be in one of two states - ON (low resistance) or OFF (high resistance).

When the gate voltage on a MOSFET is zero, its drain-source resistance is high, and its drain-source current is low - MOSFET in the OFF state.

When gate voltage is high, the resistance of the MOSFET (On-resistance, Rdson) is low, and, if there is non-zero drain-source voltage, there is a high drain current. Thus, MOSFET is in ON state.

Zero source-drain current tells nothing about resistance. Resistance can have any value if voltage is also zero. If voltage is non-zero for zero current - then the resistance is high.

you can get the Ron wave by sweep the Vgs.

As a switch, when it is on, the current is zero. but as transmission gate, when it is on, the Ron does not change

Status
Not open for further replies.