Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about transformer design

Status
Not open for further replies.

zio_nneo

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Do anybody idea about the transformer design? How to calculate the diameter of the wire for power supply trasformer? what about the number of turn and the size of the core? Does the quality of the core effect the voltage induced in the secondary side. What are the losses in the trasformer and which one is very critical?

Re: Transformer design

zio_nneo said:
Do anybody idea about the transformer design? How to calculate the diameter of the wire for power supply trasformer? what about the number of turn and the size of the core? Does the quality of the core effect the voltage induced in the secondary side. What are the losses in the trasformer and which one is very critical?

There are too many formulas to draw them all up.

I suggest to get the "Handbook of Electronic Tables and Formulas" by SAMS (22469), ISBN:0-672-22469-0. The ISBN number is for the sixth edition, so check for the latest...

I designed a few transformers for some project a few years back. Basically its quite simple, though I don't have the formula's on top of my head. I've a few tidbits that I remembered that can make your design life a lot simpler.

Firstly, the core is the most crucial part of the transformer. Normally stacked silicon steel sheets are used with appropriate thickness related to the total power.

There is something called flux saturation after which the core no longer behaves as a transformer and shorts out the whole thing. IIRC, it is around 1.6 Tesla for very high quality laminates at line frequency. So your operating flux must be something lower than this plus safety margin.

You'll first work out the number of turns on the primary side, obviously. So with the selected flux density and the primary side voltage and frequency you can determine the number of turns there by turns/volt parameters.

Now the funny part is that the core size is simply a matter of accomodating the required number of turns of all the windings(primary, secondary,teritiary etc) at their respective wire guages.

All the above is rather crude and half-baked descriptions of typical line-frequency transformer design. But for a real efficient and reliable design you need to consulte some good references on that matter. Happy designing.

zio_nneo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

You do not specify what kind of transformer you want to design. There are several type of transformers and the design procedure can be very different.

Transformer design

DO anybody have link for the book Handbook of Electronic Tables and Formulas" by SAMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back