Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Questions about Silkscreen in pcb design

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathiresan

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Silkscreen

i am new to the pcb design.

so i would like to ask a strange question.

Whether the Legend(Silkscreen) can be placed over the vias?

Few designers in my office are saying it won't be a problem,but others say don't do it.

please someone tell me what should i do?

normally Dont put legent over vias...
reason is simple legent will be cut(or distorted) when you drill the via.

second reason is leged is non conductive.If you want the use vias for test purpose (say ICT) you can not use such vias.

Drilling is done before silk screen so that isn't an issue. Some PCB manufacturers clip the silk screen around the solder mask so if you the vias are exposed the text will be clipped and so difficult to read so it is best avoided.

Keith.

Re: Silkscreen

kathiresan said:
...Whether the Legend(Silkscreen) can be placed over the vias?

Few designers in my office are saying it won't be a problem,but others say don't do it.

please someone tell me what should i do?
You see,
as partially others mentioned it too; it has more reasons not to do:
By testpin usage it will be isolating,
the readability will be destroyed_bad,
at HAL it will be flammable and gives waste into the tinbath(if the vias arent _as usual_ coated with the covering lack)...
K.

thanx for the reply guys.

But what if via masking(turn off the via's in the solder mask) is done on that board.

Whether i can place silkscreen now?

Yes, its OK,
but do coordinate pls with your producer (you have to write the layer stack-up so & so) that their are such vias (or maybe two different sort of vias :) ) on your board_some does automatically masking free all vias and pads as estimated in our comments...
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back