Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

questions about S(2,1) for the tank of LC VCO

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingpangzi

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am designing a 30 Ghz LC VCO, and I used a typical equivalent LRC model for the tank--L,C,R in parallel.

How I find S(2,1) is quite different from what we get in the tutorial. Usually we get a hat shape for S(2,1), but now I get a sharp V-shape for it.

Could anybody give more comments on it to help us understand it?

Thanks!

It is normal....
You have connected your circuit serially and at resonace frequency it behaves as a blocking circuit at its resonace, therefore S21 is lower than 0 around that frquency.
The hat which you have seen before is input impedance of the circuit.To see this, you connect only one port to the circuit in parallel and make your simulation again.

BigBoss said:
It is normal....
You have connected your circuit serially and at resonace frequency it behaves as a blocking circuit at its resonace, therefore S21 is lower than 0 around that frquency.
The hat which you have seen before is input impedance of the circuit.To see this, you connect only one port to the circuit in parallel and make your simulation again.

Thanks for your comment.
I check the manual, the hat shape is also S(2,1). I upload the picture.
And in my case, the phase shift is less than 2 degrees, I am not sure this is the problem, I find S(1,1) can not have a larger than 1 gain when the phase shift is 0, when I use osctest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back