Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

questions about high-speed comparator design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayongwangblg

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

i want to design a comparator with a propagation delay of less than 1ns, and a precision of 10bit.

is that possible by using 0.18umCMOS technology? or i have to use a better technology like SiGe-BiCMOS?

Thanks for your help!

Hi

what your LSB will be, and what sigma are you talking about.
I think it would be feasible if you use digital calibration techniques.

1LSB<2mV, is it possible?

and i have another question,
what is the relationship between "propagation delay" and "bandwidth"?

thanks for your help.

the term "precision" in relation to comparator is uncertain,- better to define sensitivity level for given delay/speed, and maximum offset value. For some type of ADC (e.g. SAR) offset doesn't limit ADC's resolution. The term "bandwidth" for comparator also don't clear define it's speed,- contrary to OAs it can incorporate many stages (>>2) and don't require to be stable in close loop configuration. Sensitivity better 1mV with delay <1ns is realistic target for 0.18um node, but offset <1mV isn't without experience, I think.

I'll have to agree with mikersia, the offset is the difficult parameter here.
What kind of ADC architecture you want to implement?

About the propagation delay, here is a very simplistic way (might be wrong, do an RC circuit and compare the results).

For a single pole circuit (Prop.Delay) Tpd = 0.7RC.
Also (pole frequency) Fp = 1/(2*pi*R*C).
So to achieve 1ns Tpd you need an RC = 1.428ns which translates to Fp = 1/(2*pi*1.428E-9) => Fp = 111Mhz.

This is an easy target, but some other specifications might need a higher bandwidth (SFDR of the ADC for example)

The above single pole analysis is right.
This is with an RC=1.428ns [R=1.428Kohm, C=1pF]

thank you, lamoun and mikersia.
it is the analysis for a single-pole system, but what is the relationship between Tpd and -3dB bandwidth for a multi-pole system?
is it the same with single-pole system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back