Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about AC and loud buzzing noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubious Drewski

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ac buzzing noises

Hey guys, I'm only a photographer, so I think I need your expertise here.

I just bought a **broken link removed** and I'm intending to get my portable studio lights to work off of it.
My lights require 120V AC at 60Hz, and this box is supplying 120V AC, but I have no idea at what frequency.
When I plug anything else like lamps or heaters in, they work fine, but when I plug this (very expensive!) studio
light in, it works, but buzzes loudly.

What is going on here?

Added after 10 minutes:

Wait, I just found out it does output at 60hz. But it's not 120 Volts, it's 115. Does that matter?

How could that cause the buzzing?

proper ac sine wave buzzing

Well you guys didn't seem to know the answer. That's too bad. The folks at a photography forum did. Just to let everyone know what the solution was:

This powerbox is supplying the AC power not as a pure sine wave, but as more of a chopped-off sine, almost a square wave. This causes the buzzing and slightly shortens the life of my strobes and many other potential electronic devices that could be plugged into this.

I need to spend more to get a box with a "pure sine wave inverter".

Thanks for very little. I probably won't be back.

ac buzzing

Your impatience and sarcasm do you no credit. Are you blaming members of the forum because they didn't have an immediate answer?

I understand that it's unfair to blame members. This forum just isn't as active, I know. I was just surprised at the volume of answers on the other forum, despite electronics not being their specialty. While over here, the thread gets many views but not a single response, even though I'm sure a good percentage of the members would have known the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back