Not open for further replies.

D

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
3-D ports HFSS

Those experienced with HFSS at my universities center for high frequency electronics are only familiar with 2-D stuff. I have no access to manuals and need help with a 3-D simulation (arguably simulation in general).

I don't need tips on drawing the conductor that is described as :

1 mm 0. D. solenoid with 5 turns, wire diameter of 100 µm, & pitch of 150 µm; one end of the inductor has one wire that wraps up and through the coil and the other extends from the bottom--both wires are about 25 mm long and still have a 100 µm diameter.

I do need help with the following Q's. :

1) Port dimensions relative to wire diameter?

2) Do I need a substrate?

3) groundplane?

4) can my radiation boundaries be defined on the faces of a salt-water object, or should I draw a vaccuum around a patch of saline?

5) Waveport stim?

6) Current stim?

7) If my application is at 125 MHz, should that be programmed into stim set-up?

8) How do I determine the self-resonant frequency as well as other resonant peaks?

9) How do I make a map of the coil sensitivity, the magnitude of B per unit current?

Whatever you can answer or think I should know that i might not I wil be infinitely greatful. All I can offer asside from that is tips for drawing solenoids and making handy shapes with sweeping about an axis. THANKS•deb

Re: 3-D ports HFSS

You can find the HFSS manual on this forum

The largest dimensions in your design are much smaller than the wavelength (2.4m in air ~ 30 cm in water) thus you should not use a high frequency simulator but a low frequency one, HFSS might not work. This answers to questions related to ports, radiation boundaries, plot etc. since low frequency simulators have different approaches.
About substrate and groundplane - if you have them in your real device then you should include them.
See something similar to your problem here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…