Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about 1.5bits/stage in pipeline ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

noviceca

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to implement a 10-bit 20MS/s pipeline ADC in 0.25um CMOS technology. In designing 1.5bits/stage, I have two questions:

1. In switched-capacitor sample-and-hold circuit, I use CMOS transmission gate to implement switch. Usually NMOS and PMOS have same size or different size? For C=1pF, which size is better, 5/0.25 or 50/0.25?

2. I use switched-capacitor circuit to implement multiply by 2.Should I get exactly gain of 2 or it is impossible to get exactly gain of 2 due to finite gain of opamp? How close to 2 is enough? Is it 1.94 OK?

Thanks for any reply!

noviceca said:
I'm trying to implement a 10-bit 20MS/s pipeline ADC in 0.25um CMOS technology. In designing 1.5bits/stage, I have two questions:

1. In switched-capacitor sample-and-hold circuit, I use CMOS transmission gate to implement switch. Usually NMOS and PMOS have same size or different size? For C=1pF, which size is better, 5/0.25 or 50/0.25?

The switch size should be large enough to make sure that the switch can set in the required resolution in the switch on clock period. Normally PMOS should be 2~3 times of NMOS transistor size

2. I use switched-capacitor circuit to implement multiply by 2.Should I get exactly gain of 2 or it is impossible to get exactly gain of 2 due to finite gain of opamp? How close to 2 is enough? Is it 1.94 OK?
the gain error should be smaller than 1LSB
Thanks for any reply!

noviceca said:

Thanks for any reply!

There are two types of CMOS TG switch:
1. Symmetric TG, with the same W of both P,NMOS, less suffered from charge injection
2. Asymmetric TG, with approximately un/up ratio W of P,NMOS, less coupled with input.

Size depend on your application, larger W/L , small ron.
tPHL=tPLH=(ronN//ronP)Cload.

Status
Not open for further replies.