Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question -> trimming method for relaxation oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmos_ajay

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a question about Trimming of a relaxation oscillator based on charging and discharging of the capacitor. Attached is a schematic of it.

My desired oscillator frequency is 400kHz
To determine the change in frequency:
I vary the process (fast, slow, typical), temperature [-40 to 105 degree C], supply voltage V1 , Bias current I1, Vref by a certain percentage. The bias current I1 and voltage vref come from a bandgap reference. When I obtain the max. and min. value of frequency, I need to add or subtract currents flowing into the capacitor. This will bring the frequency back to the original value approximately.

a] Is this the correct trim procedure ?
b] How do I select the LSB size of frequency increment for this ?

Thanks .

Attachments

• oscillator_comp.pdf
    25.6 KB · Views: 114

a] Is this the correct trim procedure ?
b] How do I select the LSB size of frequency increment for this ?

a] Yes, I think so. Either current, or cap. Trimming the current needs less area, however.

b] Suppose your initial max. PVT frequency deviation could be ±30%, i.e ±120kHz,
and you need an (in-)accuracy of ≤1kHz, this would mean you need a 1/240 ≘ 8bit DAC current trim.
For a ±15% deviation and a ≤5kHz accuracy, a 5bit trim would be sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back