Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question regarding infinite substrate in IE3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunghozzhang

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I have ran simulation for half wave dipole antenna on infinite substrate with Er=13.5. (Lower radiation area is the substrate and the upper radiation area is the air).

However, after the simulation, it is observed that the almost all the radiation goes to air instead of the substrate. In theory, I believe the most of the radiation/power should go to the substrate instead of air.

Let me know if there is issue regarding my simulation.

Could you please explain further? I do not understand well...Thanks!

radiation means couple to air. more dk then more substrate coupling so low gain but compact antenna.

your believe is wrong and no issue with simulation.

---------- Post added at 01:58 ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 ----------

Thanks, Kspalla! Could you please explain further or in detail? I do not understand your saying well... thanks!

basically you can divide the problem in to 3 sections, 1. conductor 2. substrate 3 Air.
so the loss can be conductor loss, dielectric loss ( field with in dielectric, store energy)and radiation loss( radiation to air).
in transmission line we need min loss means try to get low conductor loss, tan delta( dielectric loss) and radiation.
In antenna we need more radiation loss. here loss is gain. more radiation means more gain from the antenna.
in your case higher dk means filed is with in dielectric and hence low gain due to low radiation loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back