Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question regarding Audio codec chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

howie

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
codec chips

An AUDIO CODEC chip (WM9731L by Wolfson) have pin outs:

1. SPKR
2. SPKL
3. OUT 3
4. OUT 4
5. GND

What is the difference between the SPKL/R pin and OUT 3/4 pin? Does it mean that I need a speaker with 3 terminals (for SPKL/R, OUT3/4 and GND)? Can someone help me regarding this coz Ive only encountered speakers with on;y 2 terminals.

Thanks!

Wolfson often label additional outputs as OUT3 and OUT4. These can be used as outputs or can be set to mid-rail and used as phantom grounds if you want to go capless. If you use caps then you don't need to use OUT3 and OUT4.
BUT read the datasheet it should explain.

you may connect it as shown:-

Added after 2 minutes:

Oops!! i didnt notice that it was asked ages ago.

Re: codec chips

howie said:
An AUDIO CODEC chip (WM9731L by Wolfson) have pin outs:

1. SPKR
2. SPKL
3. OUT 3
4. OUT 4
5. GND

What is the difference between the SPKL/R pin and OUT 3/4 pin? Does it mean that I need a speaker with 3 terminals (for SPKL/R, OUT3/4 and GND)? Can someone help me regarding this coz Ive only encountered speakers with on;y 2 terminals.

Thanks!

Those 4 outputs can be configured depending on what audio output do you want.
see page 53 Auxillary output (pins 37 and 33)
- source for these outputs can be from INV1/2 or Vmid, you just need to set the desired register for these mixer outputs

see page 52 Speaker output (pins 35 and 36)
- source for these output can be from HPMIXL/R, SPKMIXL/R, INV1/2, Vmid, you just need to set the desired register for these mixer outputs.

howie

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back