Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question reg RTL coding

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawks4peace

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
Can any one tell me what is the difference between Register Transfer Level (RTL) style coding and normal HDL coding. I mean is there any difference at all or is it just a structural coding of logic diagram (combinatorial cloud and register pairs).

Thank you for your help

In RTL we assume that the code we r writing which is a vector quantity which will transfer betweenfunctional units.

Thanks for the reply.
I couldn't understnd the concept properly.
Can you please explain it in more detail or if u know a source or website can you please guide me to it.

regards

When you written the code in verilog or vhdl (called HDL coding) in Xilinx or Altera plotform, after synhesis it will give one netlist file. The main of aim of this netlist is to fix into FPGA or DE2board,

If you synthesis this verilog or vhdl code in RTL Compiler(RC from Cadence, using different library files which was given by foundries) you will get netlist file. This netlist useful for particular foundry only(which library file you used).

you should obey the coding style in RTL level, not the gate level!

you must use RTL style code if the design needs synthsis and transfer to netlist ;
you can use behavior level style code when your target is function model ,that you will use behavior style conveniently and freely. only your code is compatible for HDL syntax, this style maybe the normal style you said above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back