Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question on step-up transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
nicholas step up transformer

I read in NEETS that a step-up transformer of a 1:3 ration will trans an ac voltage of 115V in RMS into an ac voltage of 345 in PEAK to PEAK.

Is it right? Why RMS vs. PEAK to PEAK? Not RMS vs. RMS or PEAK to PEAK vs. PEAK to PEAK?

thanks.

Nicholas

question step up transformer

You must remember that you do not get anything for nothing ie double the voltage half the current ( transformer theary).

Barrybear

ac transformer stepup 1:3

barrybear said:
You must remember that you do not get anything for nothing ie double the voltage half the current ( transformer theary).
Barrybear

I know that. But just the voltage I mention here. Thanks.

Nicholas

Something is wrong. Mains transformers of good design are over 97% efficient. The turns ratio sets the voltage ratio and current ratio all in the same units.

Sounds like a typographical error. A 1:3 step-up transformer will convert 115V RMS into 345V RMS (or 115V P-P into 345V P-P).

Status
Not open for further replies.