Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on simulating defected ground structures in Sonnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

svarun

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
In the warm company of God's most exquisite creati
Activity points
sonnet boolean

Hi all,

How do I draw a defected ground structure in Sonnet Lite 10.51 ? Basically I want to simulate the case of a microstrip on a duroid substrate with periodic circular holes in the ground plane to see the PBG response. I don't want to use HFSS because it is very slow as my structure is about 2Lambda0x2Lambda0. I think Sonnet will solve it much faster. Is there any example file for defected ground structures ?

-svarun

Re: Question on simulating defected ground structures in Son

Hi svarun,

Yes you are correct, sonnet is a good package for such structure analysis...
I have attached a very good document on Photonic-Bandgap (PBG) structure simulation using AWR microwave Office,
just for your reference

Also attached are the corresponding project files for PBG structure simulations using
Sonnet & Microwave Office...

I hope this helps you in solving your problem...

I posted a similar question on the Sonnet forums and it was easier than I realized. I needed to simulate a three layer board (microstrip on top and bottom with GND layer in middle). There is a transition from top to bottom with a hole in the ground plane. This ends up as a 5 layer structure with air on the top and bottom. The ground plane is drawn on the middle layer and it must touch the sides of the box. Touching the sides is what connects it to ground. You can then cut out areas of the ground plane. Mine were rectangular so I don't know if Sonnet has a boolean feature. If you view the currents you will see them going around the defects. I'll see if I can post the file once I get to work.

Here is the file I mentioned. I also use Microwave Office as the front end but have saved the Sonnet project.

Hi Svarun,

when I need to make a hole in the ground for Sonnet simulations I usually start with donut shape (Tools/Add Metalization/Donut). You can specify some value for inner radius different from 0. Make sure that your angle is 360 deg in total. Number of sides=4 will do for a simple rectangle hole. Then I use reshape tool from the toolbox to move verticies to the corners of the box for outer circle and to shape the hole by moving the vertices of the inner circle. As a result you will have one monolith ground, one polygon only. It might be advantageous in subsectioning compared to ground consisting of number of poligons.

flyhigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back