Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question on sigma-delta modulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

abcyin

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, all,

I am a very beginner on this topic (sigma-delta modulator), so could you anyone tell me that, in the following figure, how to choose the values for VREF+ and VREF-, and why?

Thanks very much in advance!

83_1265768069.gif

i dont think there is a hard rule on vref+ and vref-
it would also depend on what order your ADC is. For a simple 1 bit ADC,
general rule of thumb is about 70% and 30% of your supply voltage.
(assuming 0-supply voltage is your input range)

I dont know if this is a good explanation, but let me give it a try.

you want to integrate the difference between input and vref, so you want (input - vref) to be as big as it can be to help the integrator reach 0.

For that, its better to choose vref+ to be between 50% to 100% of your supply
and vref- to be between 0 to 50%.

well, i would think the best results are achieved at 75% and 25%, but during my simulation long ago, i found best results at 70% and 30%.

I hope this helps.

In this SDM configuration (VREF+ - VREF-) will define maximum voltage swing both at the x input and integrator's output. VREF- could be zero.

For this circuit, the Vref+ and Vref- must be one is positive and one is negative since the reference of comparator is 0. You can check book for how to decide the reference.

Vref+ and Vref- set the feedback factor

in your case, I think connect them to vdd and gnd is ok and convenient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back