Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on log periodic dipole antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishnasri780

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai,
How can I calculate the feedline width of log periodic dipole antenna?

A log-periodic antenna is basically a balanced transmission lines with radiators attached to it. I would guess the transmission line Z is around 70ohm like other 1/4 wavelength dipole antennas.
If that is the case in your design you would simply use a transmission line calculator for balanced lines and plug in 70ohm and teh distance between the feed lines.
The distance and the diameter of the lines is what creates a specific impedance so if you change on of these parameters you must adjust the other to keep the same specific impedance.

I would guess the transmission line Z is around 70ohm like other 1/4 wavelength dipole antennas.
According to literature, it's more complicated. As a simplified idea, imagine that the characteristic feed line impedance loaded by the dipole elements equals the antenna input impedance. So it's always higher than the antenna input impedance.

A good overview about LPD antenna design method and brief calculation example together with detailed references can be found in the Log-Periodic Antennas paragraph of Ballanis, Antenna Theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back