Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on Hspice: How to write the Source file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shartz

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am a starter on HSPICE, and need to simulate a simple circuit by force the input, say V(INPUT), as a function of time:

V(input)=1*exp(-5)+2*exp(-6),

How can I achieve it? By defining
.PARAM V(INPUT)='1*exp(-5)+2*exp(-6)' ?

But, the error is: no DC path from node INPUT...

Is there anybody can help me out?

try to insert any dummy load on the node INPUT (for example a resistance in the order of 1meg ohm)

shartz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Dummy load?
I need a force, with function of time "t". Is dummy load work?

The duumy loads are just to fix the error of "no DC path to ground"

shartz

Hi
1*exp(-5)+2*exp(-6) is a constant value.
so you can calculate it and use a DC voltage source with this value.
regards

shartz

Sorry, I did not illustrate it clearly.
I want the

V(input)=1*exp(-t)+2*exp(-t), in which "t" is time, and I don't want to do it by PWL.
Any other suggestions?

And I don't know how the "floating" node works, can you explain it more clearly?

Best

Hi
I think hspice manual can help you.
I think you can make exponential source in it.
regards

shartz

Well I may have a solution but is not straight froward and it uses PWL source :( .
you can generate a ramp voltage that is proportional to time using a PWL source (0 0 Tend Vmax).
Then you can search your manual for a macromodel that generates the exponential of the input signal (the ramp signal) . Using a combination of the these blocks with some fixed gain blocks and a summer you can get the equation you want.

Added after 6 minutes:

shartz said:
And I don't know how the "floating" node works, can you explain it more clearly?

some times the tool refuses to have a node that is connected to one element and it reports that there is no DC path to ground. To force the tool to accept this circuit is to add a resistor with a very very huge value between this node and ground, This gives the tool a path to ground and will not impact the circuit behaviour considerably (provided that the value of the resistor is large enough)

shartz

Status
Not open for further replies.