Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on Arrays in Verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

easytarget

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm learning Verilog on my own right now and I'm stuck, please help. I'm confused how arrays are referenced. Here's the code that confuses me:

Code:
//first, the declarations, I have no problem with them:

input [width-1:0] data_in;
input clk, reset;
output [width-1:0] data_out;

reg [width-1:0] pipe [0:length-1];
wire [width-1:0] d_in [0:length-1];

//now here's what's confusing me:

assign d_in[0]=data_in;
assign data_out=pipe[width-1];

My question is how can you assign values to things with different dimensions? can someone tell me which elements are assigned wich values in the above code? This is from a book called A Starter's Guide to Verilog 2001, page 136. Thanks for your help.

reg [width-1:0] pipe [0:length-1];
pipe is a group of "length" registers. Each register has "width" bits. It's a (length x width) memory.

wire [width-1:0] d_in [0:length-1];
d_in is a group of "length" data busses. Each bus has "width" bits.

assign d_in[0]=data_in;
That copies data_in to the first data bus.

assign data_out=pipe[width-1];
Oops! That looks like a mistake. It tries to use width-1 as an address into pipe.

easytarget

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You have specified two kinds of array, one-dimentional and two-dimentional.
The code "input [width-1:0] data_in;" specifies a one-dimentional array. It means data_in[width-1] til data_in[0] which indicates a signal by width bits.
The code "wire [width-1:0] d_in [0:length-1];" describes a two-dimentional array. This array includes "length" members that each of them indicates a signal by "width" bits.

assign d_in[0]=data_in; ----> data_in[width-1:0] is assigned to d_in[width-1:0][0]

assign data_out=pipe[width-1]; ----> pipe[width-1:0][width-1] is assigned to data_out[width-1:0]. It means (width-1)th element of pipe is assigned to data_out. In this case, "width" should be less than or equal "length".

rgds,
KH

easytarget

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back