Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question of passing a signal between 2 clock domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Yau

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I know I have to design a synchronizer with 2 F.F to pass one signal comes from low frequency clock domain to high frequency clock domain. But If a signal comes from A clock domain with fixed clock frequency must be passed to B clock domain. And clock of B clock domain is adjustable. It's frequency can be faster than A clock domain's frequency Or It's frequency can be slower than A clock domain's frequency. What kind of synchronizer is suit for this situation?
Thanks.

I think these method can be discussed by us! May be use handshaking method!

handshaking is good option or we can have mux based syncronizers

I am no idea about handshaking and mux based syncronizers. Could ljxpjpjljx and shobhitk explain more detail?
Thanks

Hi,

You have to use a structure with:
- a request signal
- a grant signal

The sending procedure then is managed by a FSM

You can request a new transmit from the domain A to the domain B only if you are sure the first data has been well tranferred.
A grant signal can be a double FF clocked signal (on clock B) which go back to domain A with a double FF (on clock A).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back