Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question microSD and SD HC connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer87

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Video game cartridge PCB connector and microSD card connector and microSD card the 3 have gold contacts contact how many inserts are needed to remove this golden layer and render the cartridge, SD connector and microSD card useless?
20191023_212307-e1572201601405.jpg
50-pcs-8pin-conector-slot-para-cart-o-Micro-SD-SMD-4-p-s-Fixos-cart.jpg
Como-formatear-una-tarjeta-microSD-para-la-Raspberry-Pi-professor-falken.com_.jpg

SD card physical layer spec says >= 10000 mating cycles.

someone told me that if i keep the microSD card inserted in the connector for many years will this connector lose contact pressure of the blades? that's true?

conector-micro-sd.jpg

Hi,

Nobody answered this same question on the other thread, I guess...

Presumably. Possibly. Maybe. Perhaps. The connector blades would be forced into another position "for many years" so would no longer return to their original position as much, I imagine.

If you're lucky, the SD card and connector might lightly weld together over such a long time, too, due to the current warming them up a tiny bit.

A SD connector is low power and doesn't significantly heat up. High quality connectors shouldn't loose contact pressure.

Why does the blades of the SD and microSD connector lose contact pressure? I don't know the manufacturer of my connector but I have some devices purchased on Aliexpress that use a microSD and SD card and connector if I store these devices for many years with the card inserted in the connector will this cause loss of contact with the blades?

Hi,

someone told me that i

Why not ask "someone"?
It seems he/ she knows the answer.

Maybe it depends on the type/manufacturer? Then consult the datasheet.

Btw: I have some devices (camera, cell phone, modems, raspberrys ... where the SDs are permanently installed.

Klaus

Brass and copper contacts are liable to acquire tarnish over time. I think that's more significant than the degree of springy force of the metal. I imagine tarnish can even creep in between the contacts. Thus the advice to reseat a connector if we suspect it's causing a problem. The action of disconnect/reconnect scrapes the metal surfaces against each other, to rub away dirt and uncover clean metal.

Gold doesn't tarnish thus it's desirable for maintaining better contact.

Some metal surfaces are known to 'weld' together after many years, where molecule touches molecule. Example, between Iron or steel, if rust doesn't creep in first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back