Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question in Antenna Theory by Balanis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan0354

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
See attached scanned pages of page 118(left side) and page 125(right side) of Antenna Theory by Balanis.

On the left side, it is just some basic EM where

\[\nabla\times \vec {E}=-\frac{\partial {\vec {B}}}{\partial {t}}\;\Rightarrow\;\vec {E}=-\nabla {V}-\frac{\partial {\vec {A}}}{\partial {t}}\]

Then to Lorentz thingy \[\nabla\cdot \vec {A}=-\mu\epsilon \frac{\partial {V}}{\partial {t}}\].

And so on......

The only thing different is it is in time harmonic form where \[\frac{\partial{}}{\partial {t}}\rightarrow\;j\omega\].

Now going to the right side. I underlined the sentence that I have no idea where that comes from!! What is \[\frac {1}{r^n}=0\] where n=,2,3,4.....

Please explain what is that. This supposed to be very basic thing that

\[\vec {B}=\nabla\times\vec {A}\]
Then for far field where it is assumed plane wave,\[\vec {E}=\eta\hat {R} \times \vec {H}\]

Please help.

Thanks

Attachments

• Far field.jpg
    Far field.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 98

I since find out what Balanis is talking about. He used Multipole Expansion for charges from great distance!!! But why? What's wrong with the following?

If you look at (3-58a) \[\tilde {E}=-j\omega \vec{A}\]

This is nothing more than
\[\nabla\times \vec{E}=-\frac{\partial{\vec{B}}}{\partial{t}}=-\nabla \times \frac{\partial{\vec{A}}}{\partial{t}}\;\Rightarrow\;\nabla\times \vec{E}+\nabla \times \frac{\partial{\vec{A}}}{\partial{t}}=0\;\Rightarrow\;\nabla\times\left[\vec{E}+\frac{\partial{\vec{A}}}{\partial{t}}\right]=0\]

\[\Rightarrow\;\vec{E}=-\frac{\partial{\vec{A}}}{\partial{t}}=-j\omega\vec{A}\]

Why all the fuzz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back