Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] [Question] How to configure FUSES?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrrah

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi.. i just wanna ask what's the appropriate way of configuring fuses for the PIC 877a micro? i am new to microcontrollers.. im using PIC16PRO programmer

2lnzbpg.jpg

what fuses will i check? pls guide me

In order to configure fuses, you must be familiar with their relevant functions, I would suggest that you should go through the data sheet of 877A, particularly section 14.0 Special Features of the CPU, it will give you idea how to configure fuses.

Hi,

If you are new to subject; I suggest most common configurations,
If your oscillator is crystal 200kHz ~ 4MHz Check XT
or If your oscillator is crystal 4MHz ~ 20MHz Check HS

Also check Power up timer. Leave others alone.

Hope this helps you,

thanks. . . btw, what do WRT0 & WRT1 means?

bit 10-9 WRT1:WRT0 Flash Program Memory Write Enable bits
For PIC16F876A/877A:
11 = Write protection off; all program memory may be written to by EECON control
10 = 0000h to 00FFh write-protected; 0100h to 1FFFh may be written to by EECON control
01 = 0000h to 07FFh write-protected; 0800h to 1FFFh may be written to by EECON control
00 = 0000h to 0FFFh write-protected; 1000h to 1FFFh may be written to by EECON control
For PIC16F873A/874A:
11 = Write protection off; all program memory may be written to by EECON control
10 = 0000h to 00FFh write-protected; 0100h to 0FFFh may be written to by EECON control
01 = 0000h to 03FFh write-protected; 0400h to 0FFFh may be written to by EECON control
00 = 0000h to 07FFh write-protected; 0800h to 0FFFh may be written to by EECON control

You should configure them as 11, it will disable write protection, hence you will be able to reprogram your micro again and again.

do i have to check the WRT0 & WRT1 check boxes in the PICALL software?

You should configure them as 11, it will disable write protection, hence you will be able to reprogram your micro again and again.

It only affect to write program memory using "EECON control". That is write program-memory by "program you written into uC".

Please see Section 3.6 of datasheet-PIC16F877A. Also there is such a example; EXAMPLE 3-4:

It doesn't affect to reprogram you micro with external-hardware (like pickit2, JDM, ICD2 ....)

If your code doesn't write program-memory using EECON control register, you may ignore these; however default is 11.

Thank you,

No.
Leave them as they are, meaning unchecked.

thanks to all who replied..

Status
Not open for further replies.