Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question: Can I use PIC18F4550 to operate a USB device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimbo

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
acr120 philippines

We are currently using PIC18F4550 to make a simple Vending Machine circuit. Just to make it different, instead of using bill validations we will use smart card technology as a way of payment. We bought a ACR120U. Here is the link https://www.acs.com.hk/acr120-sdk.php This device is good for PCs but we still haven' tried it using it with a microcontroller. We did some Data sniffing on the ACR120U in order for us to operate the device using the raw bits.

My question is can we use PIC18F4550 to operate the ACR120U? The transmission is vice versa, going to the ACR120U and going to the PIC.

I read some post that the PIC18 cannot be able to host USB devices. It can only be done using MAX3421E.

Anyone who can give us some advice, I thank you in advance. This is for our thesis to be submitted before march.

which pic18f use

PIC18F4550 can't, but MAX3421 and a rich choice of USB dual-role capable controllers can do. But there's a considerable software overhead. I wonder why you aren't using an ACR120 with serial interface, that is available as well.

usage of pic18f4550

I see. Hmm so I really need to buy a USB host controller. FvM can you give me an advice on what USB host controller should I buy that is easy to use and can easily be find. I'm from the Philippines and I didn't able to find a store that has MAX3421E. Another question, do we still need to burn a program in a MAX3421E with a burner like PIC? Sorry I'm a noob in this kind of things and I'm really willing to learn this things for our project.

Thank you FvM.

pic18f4550 buy philippines

Might be worth looking at a PIC24 which would be largely code compatible with the existing PIC18 firmware ?

Iain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back