Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about Timer0

Status
Not open for further replies.

hukiju

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to understand more about timer0 in PIC (p18f4550). If I have a long program to be executed, will it affect the timer0 operation? Like if the program is too long to be executed, will it slow down the timer0 timing?

Appreciate for any teacher who willing to teach a newb like me.

Thanks!

Lee

Timer 0, and all the other timers are built into the hardware of the silicon, they run all the time and unless their values are changed by your program writing new data to them they will always keep counting at the same speed. They are driven directly from the system clock so your program will not slow them down. This is one of the reasons they are added to all the PIC range, and most other processors, they provide a reliable timing source no matter what the program itself is doing.

Brian.

Reactions: hukiju

hukiju

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the explanation. That's what I'm looking for. Appreciated! :smile:

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.