Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about TCP/IP - connected to 2 different LANs

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have my PC (Win98) with 2 LAN cards configured for TCP/IP and connected to 2 different LANs. These LANs need to be isolated for data security and I need to access both of them from my PC while dissallowing any data access across the 2 LANs. This arrangement has been tested and is running but with some problems.

#1. How does an applcation know which IP is on which LAN. Both the LANs have 192.168.0.x IPs. If I send a "ping" from my PC to an IP, how does the ping find the correct LAN. Suppose, there are 192.168.0.1 IP's existing on both LANs, what would be the result of such a request.

#2. One of the LANs has an internet gateway + DHCP server configured for Internet Connection sharing. Is it possible for me to configure my PC for another level of sharing so that the other LAN can also access the internet.

thanks for any help.

techie

Re: Question about TCP/IP

For each LAN card you must set different IP adress nets or subnets !

Some programs will have capability of selecting "other" ip. Another way is to bind protocal to only one lan card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back