Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about synthesizinggate level netlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASIC_intl

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
About synthesis

I have a synthesized gate level netlist. From that netlist I want to create another gate level netlist where the clock priod will have a higher time period than the earlier gate-level netlist which I have with me now. Is there any way to do that with a synthesis tool?

Thanks
ASIC

Re: About synthesis

Hi, change clock period, check report_timing, if there is no slack violation with new frequency, I think you don't have to do anything.
Which tool do you use?

Hi

DC is being used.

The gate level netlist which I have now was generated from some basic RTLs. I do not have those main RTLs now. If I synthesize with the new clock period taking this gate level netlist (which I have with me now) as the input I will face the following problem. The synthesized netlist will definitely have the newer clock period but the new netlist that I will synthesize may not be optimized in terms of GATE counts and power. I mean to meet the new timing the synthesis tool will not be able to remove the unnecessary gates which are already present in the gate level netlist which I have with me.

I would have got the best synthesized netlist with new clock period if I would have the original RTLs.

I think I am able to make u understood clearly. If not please inform me.

About synthesis

take the netlist and do a incremental compile by giving new clock period. as this new target frequency is less than the original netlist met; target for area optimization. once u get the area optimized netlist after the incremental compile, timing check. if timing passes, then u have a design which meets the new target and with less area

What do you mean by incremental compil here? I am not getting your point step by step

About synthesis

hello every one i want to know that how would i start studying xilinks and synthesis tool i m starting a project on verilog based design so that is why i need

Hi
silencer3
can u please clear it out?

This is my understanding from your question (correct me if i am wrong !) : you basically want a netlist that corresponds to the highest frequency possible.
Basically, its a trial and error approach..you keep giving decreasing values for the time period in your "create_clock" command and then generate a timing report..(using "report_timing" command) to check if there are any violations... the value of the time period that just generates a timing violation should correspond to your best possible frequency ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back