Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question About Simulink Simulation of Delta-Sigma Modulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

naalald

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
delta sigma modulator

Hi All,
The attached are the simulink model of a 1st order delta-sigma modulator and its result. But when I compare the output fft and SNR of my model with that of Schreier toolbox for a 1st order modulator with OSR=32 and for the same inputs, I see that the results are different. I have 28.5 dB SND and Schreier toolbox has 41.6 dB SNR.
Could you please help me figure out where is my mistake and why I get this poor SNR?
Thanks a lot.

simulink delta sigma model

why the threshold of quantizer is 0.5? i think it should be 0.

delta sigma modulation simulink

Hi jiangxb,
Thank you very much for your reply. That is because the output levels of the Quantier are 0 and +1 and I have to select +0.5 for the threshold. In fact In Simulink there is no flip-flop that its outputs are -1 and +1. Do you think this does not work?

sigma delta modulator using simulink

i think the cause is the setup of quantizer threshold. i suggest that setting the common-mode value 0 and using sign function as quantizer.

naalald

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
delta sigma model simulink

Thanks for your reply.
But if I use the sign function for the quantizer, how can I simulate the sampling? How can I set the oversampling ratio? There would be no clock in the circuit then!

delta modulation simulink flip flop

the modules in simulink have option - sampling time, it's the inverse of sampling frequency. set input sinewave frequency of modulator in signal bandwidth. you needn't set oversampling rate which is used in decimation filter only.

about simulink

Thanks jiangxb,
You were right. Now that I have changed the quantizer and used a sign function, the result is much better. But as I can't define the clock concept well, the result still has to improve (I defined a function instead of the quantizer as below). By changing the oversampling ration a little, the SNR changes a lot.

The function that I defined for the quantizer:

function y = fcn(u, clk)

if clk
if u<0
y = -1;
else
y = 1;
end
else
y = 0;
end

The attached is the new results which are much better than the previous one.

delta function in simulink

you needn't set clock because they are discrete-time themselves. set SAMPLE TIME of one module and -1 for others(-1 for inherited).

naalald

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
sigma delta simulink model

Thanks.
I used a sign block instead of defining a function and also I eliminated the clock concept and used the sample time of the source block. The results are better now.
Thank you very much for your help!

simulink sample question

Hi All,
I find this topic very interesting as i am trying to build a model for 1st and 2nd order delta sigma modulation. I just started using Simulink and i wonder if anyone can help me.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.