Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about POT and volume control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

david90

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to connect a potentiometer volume

My stereo control the volume by using a POT. Is there a way to connect another pot to it so that it becomes a 2nd volume control?

You can tandem two controls, but there is no real use for such things unless you want the first control to be inside the cabinet and set the maximum level the second control can do.

This is not that strange a thing. My brother would play his music too loudly for the rest of the family, so my father and I did such a thing to my brother's audio system.

What do you mean by tandem? Do u mean connect them parrallel to each other? A pot has 3 prongs so just connect another pot 3 prongs to that?

No,he means to "stage" them,i.e. to connect the "output" of the first to the "input" of the other.

Trouble is that you will never get the full 'range' of adjustment, the setting on one pot will always have an effect on how much you can alter the volume using the other pot.

For example, if the hifi volume is low and you connect the resistors in series, the second resistor will only be able to lower the volume. You wouldn't be able to get it any higher than the setting on the hifi itself.

Have you considered using a digital pot with up/down buttons at each hifi? I'm not sure if this will be possible as it depends how much you want to modify your hifi, but this would allow full range adjustment from either location. If you are interested, take a look at some of the dallas digital models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back