Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about poles in bode plots

Status
Not open for further replies.

fizzbug

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In the bode plot, when we encounter a pole then the gain magnitude decreases but in the value of transfer function increases (gain) .How is it explained?

Re: Poles and bode plots

In the bode plot, when we encounter a pole then the gain magnitude decreases but in the value of transfer function increases (gain) .How is it explained?

It`s not true that the BODE magnitude plot (always) decreases at the pole frequency. Depending on the pole location in the s-plane (pole quality) the magnitude may exhibit a peak - sometimes rather large - in this frequency region.
More than that, the answer to your question touches the difference between the complex frequency s=sigma+jw and the real frequency w. Try to become familiar with the meaning of s and you will understand.

It`s not true that the BODE magnitude plot (always) decreases at the pole frequency. Depending on the pole location in the s-plane (pole quality) the magnitude may exhibit a peak - sometimes rather large - in this frequency region.
More than that, the answer to your question touches the difference between the complex frequency s=sigma+jw and the real frequency w. Try to become familiar with the meaning of s and you will understand.

but by definition the system has infinite gain at pole frequency rite ? so the gain should always increase ? :sad:

but by definition the system has infinite gain at pole frequency rite ? so the gain should always increase ? :sad:

What definition? That is true only if the pole is purely imaginary.

What definition? That is true only if the pole is purely imaginary.

I think, for an imaginary pole pair we have dynamic instability (oscillations).

@Fizzbug: The magnitude goes to infinity for s=s(p)=sigma(p)+jw(p) (s(p)=complex pole frequency).
However, in reality you never can excite the circuit with s(p). It is a mathematical operation only.
I repeat: Try to become familiar with the concept of complex frequencies.

I think, for an imaginary pole pair we have dynamic instability (oscillations).

@Fizzbug: The magnitude goes to infinity for s=s(p)=sigma(p)+jw(p) (s(p)=complex pole frequency).
However, in reality you never can excite the circuit with s(p). It is a mathematical operation only.
I repeat: Try to become familiar with the concept of complex frequencies.

thanks alot ... i got :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.