Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about MOSFET I-V equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainbee

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Most textbooks describe MOSFET I-V characteristic equation with channel length modulation effect as
Id(sat)=K(W/L)(Vgs-Vth)²(1+λVds).

But because the effect of pinch-off(or channel length modulation) begins when Vds>Vsat(Vgs-Vth), I think that it should be
Id(sat)=K(W/L)(Vgs-Vth)²[1+λ(Vds-Vsat)].

And when it comes to continuity between Id(triode) and Id(sat), I think later one is better.

Am I wrong? I'm confused.

Thank you

p.s. Sorry, I'm not good at English.

mosfet equations are usually specified in two equations:
i)in linear region (vds<vsat)(or vgs ...)
ii)in constant current region (vds>vsat)

your equation is in ii). where lamda effect is pronounced.

Hi Rainbee,

I see your point. But, using the equation that you proposed: Id(sat)=K(W/L)(Vgs-Vth)²[1+λ(Vds-Vsat)]
The effect of channel length modulation will be proportional to VDS-VSAT, what it is wrong. This effect is proportional to VDS.

For VDS<VGS-VT ==> Device in linear operation: I = 1/2*un*Cox*W/L[2*(VGS-VT)VDS - VDS^2].
For VDS = or > VGS-VT ==> Device in saturation:Id(sat)=K(W/L)(Vgs-Vth)².
Thus, at this point VDS=VGS-VT, the pinch-off happens, and the channel length modulation happens.... so, if you consider this effect:

Id(sat)=K(W/L)(Vgs-Vth)²(1+λVds).

Is it clear?

Regards

temporary reply for image link

---------- Post added at 12:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 ----------

Thanks for reply.

But when I draw graphs of two equations(triode region and saturation region), they don't have a intersection point (that is expected to be made at Vds=Vgs-Vt).

This was my confusing point...

Hi Rainbee,

The effect of channel length modulation will be proportional to VDS-VSAT, what it is wrong. This effect is proportional to VDS.

Hi,
Well they will never have a meeting point because the equations do not follow a linear trend and hence there would be a mismatch.Only spice models can give the best accurate combined model.

temporary reply for image link

---------- Post added at 12:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 ----------

Thanks for reply.

But when I draw graphs of two equations(triode region and saturation region), they don't have a intersection point (that is expected to be made at Vds=Vgs-Vt).

This was my confusing point...

Hi Rainbee,

This is normal. Remember that these equations only can be used for hand-analysis calculations. The continuity of equations that model the transistor behavior is a very discussed topic.
The real equations used in the simulators are much more complicated. For example, BSIM3 or BSIM4. If you have curiosity, take a look at the models. There are many parameters (and many of them without physical meaning – only fitting purpose). Other models, such as, EKV and ACM, are simpler and all parameters having physical meaning.
Regards,

Obs: one last remark, note that the derivative of ID (@ID/@VDS) = 0, representing the peak of your parabola, occurs at VDS = VGS - VTH: The beginning of saturation operation. Interesting, righ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.