Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about laying a 40Kohm resistor in IC design

Status
Not open for further replies.

duron999

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Resistor Problem !

Hello, I'm a new hand of IC design,
I want to ask the question is,
Can I lay a 40Kohm resistor ??? Is it possible/suitable ?
Because I find that the process sheet resistance of Poly is 7.5 ohm/square ,
N+ Diffusion is 300 ohm/square.
Are the layout will very very large ???

Another question is:

Is "ohm/square" mean ohm per square micron ??? The unit is in um ???

Thanks !

Re: Resistor Problem !

Yes, you can. 40kohm resistor is a reasonable size.

But your sheet resistivity seems abit low for this particular process you're using. Are you using a digital process? Consider using nwell resistor if accuracy is not a major concern.

Basically, ohms/square means the resistance can be measured from the effective number of squares you can equate from a line. For eg. if you draw a L=4.5um and W=1.5um for a 10ohm/sq material, the resistance is 4.5/1.5 * 10 = 30ohms.
(i.e. 3 squares).

wee_liang said:
Yes, you can. 40kohm resistor is a reasonable size.

But your sheet resistivity seems abit low for this particular process you're using. Are you using a digital process? Consider using nwell resistor if accuracy is not a major concern.

Basically, ohms/square means the resistance can be measured from the effective number of squares you can equate from a line. For eg. if you draw a L=4.5um and W=1.5um for a 10ohm/sq material, the resistance is 4.5/1.5 * 10 = 30ohms.
(i.e. 3 squares).

Thank ! I'm doing a analog design and using Cadence GPDK Technology,
In the manual, the sheet resistance table only show:
Layer (in ohm/square)
Poly 7.5
N+ Diffusion 300
Metal 1 0.1
Metal 2 0.1
Metal 3 0.1
Metal 4 0.1
Metal 5 0.1
Metal 6 0.1
Poly Contact 5
Diffusion Contact 7.5

Is it mean I can't use nwell resistor ? Can I use these parameter
to layout an accuracy resistor ?

thanks !

Hello,

Assuming that your length=1um, then the width=133.3um. Size-wise, I don't think it's going to be that much of a problem if you lay it out in multiples of 3 or 4. It might be worth checking with the foundry if you are allowed other types of resistors. Manuals aren't always up to date and Cadence GPDK may be limited to a few examples.

Dear:
the 40k ohm will occupy large area. As the result, the area of the active device will be samller than the area of the resistors. Why don't u think about the mos resistor to reduce ur area.

j2005 said:
Hello,

Assuming that your length=1um, then the width=133.3um. Size-wise, I don't think it's going to be that much of a problem if you lay it out in multiples of 3 or 4. It might be worth checking with the foundry if you are allowed other types of resistors. Manuals aren't always up to date and Cadence GPDK may be limited to a few examples.

What is the function of "multiples of 3 or 4" ?

Added after 3 minutes:

purefen said:
Dear:
the 40k ohm will occupy large area. As the result, the area of the active device will be samller than the area of the resistors. Why don't u think about the mos resistor to reduce ur area.

I'm afraid that using MOS transistor to replace the resistor will affect
the bias current. Will that change the bias current ??? thanks !

Multiples means that you break up the length into equal sections and lay them out side by side. The total length results in the total resistance. It doesn't affect the area much, only makes it look more compact.

Resistor Problem !

ohm/square is the unit ohm.
maybe you can use a implant resistor.it will be 1k/square.

j2005 said:
Multiples means that you break up the length into equal sections and lay them out side by side. The total length results in the total resistance. It doesn't affect the area much, only makes it look more compact.

It's right ,and it's a good way to lay out .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back