Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about HP adaptor failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beemer2

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I use my HP Ipaq H5550 to tune my acoustic piano. The software will only run on this model so I need to get it working.

The HP charger is 120/240V to 5V dc 2A. Recently it stopped charging and the iPAQ battery is completely flat. On checking the charger output voltage I noted that it was only a few millivolts d.c. However on switching my UT70D meter to a.c. it reads 3.5V.

Can someone explain to me why I see an a.c. voltage at all?

Unfortunately this is one of the friction welded plastic cases and it probably is too much trouble to open it.

Ian

On checking the charger output voltage I noted that it was only a few millivolts d.c. However on switching my UT70D meter to a.c. it reads 3.5V.

Can someone explain to me why I see an a.c. voltage at all?

Probably some diodes failed as short circuit. Maybe some failed open. Consequently AC is getting through to the output. Maybe with a weak DC component.

Unfortunately this is one of the friction welded plastic cases and it probably is too much trouble to open it.

I have used my hacksaw to open up adapters. Plastic isn't so bad to cut through. Take care not to slip and ruin components inside.

Also try compressing it in a vise, carefully, on the slim chance the seam will cr-a-ck open.

Status
Not open for further replies.