Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about frequency modulation system operation in Simulink

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvdp

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Not really digital but since it'a a Simulink question I thought it fitted best in here...

I have a very basic frequency modulation system in Simulink, consting of a sine wave input, FM modulator passband block, FM demodulator passband block and a scope. When executing the simulation you can see that the modulating and demodulated signal don't exactly match. The demodulated signal is shifted in phase and has a lower amplitude.

If I change the values of the modulation constant for both the modulator and demodulator from 3e3 to 15e3, both signal do seem to match a lot better.

Then, when further increased to 50e3 for example, they are way off.

Does anyone know why this is the case and what the math is behind it?

I attached the Simulink file. You need execute [num,den] = butter(2,30000*.005e-3); in the Matlab window for it to work. These are the coefficients of the low pass filter in the demodulator.

Thanks!

Attachments

• fm simulink.rar
    2.7 KB · Views: 99

Status
Not open for further replies.