Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about distance between microstrip and CPW

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDavid

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a little question?
I using in my design with microstrip,
To get Zo=50Ω: H=32mil, T=1.41mil=1oz, w=58mil, FR4 => ε=4.5 [F=800÷2200MHz]

What is intresting me how much I must to move from microstrip with ground plane so I wan't get CPW (Coplanar Wave Guide).
I thought that minimum distance is height of PCB (in my case 32mil),
But my colleague say that at least 2*width (2w) of the microstrip line.

Who is telling the truth???

David

Re: MICROSTRIP OR CPW

I use substrate height. What if you had a very wide line of Z0=5 ohms. Would you still use 2*W spacing? Use a 2.5D EM simulator to draw your own conclusions.

Re: MICROSTRIP OR CPW

Hi,

Tnx for applying,
yesterday i spoke with other colleague he said that I must move a FEW wavelength from microstrip!!!!

David

MICROSTRIP OR CPW

If you don't currently have a 2.5D simulator you can use Sonnet Lite for free. It has enough capability to handle two coupled microstrips (4 ports). Just vary the spacing while observing return loss and coupling. I think you'll find that a spacing of 1*H to 2*H will get you between -20 dB to -30 dB of coupling depending on length. While this is too much for a high isolation switch it is probably for running traces next to a ground flood. You spacing shiould be determined by your needs and with a 2.5D simulator you can perform quick experiments in a few minutes.

**broken link removed**

Added after 10 minutes:

I tried your configuration in a 0.5"x0.5" enclosure. The response with no ground on either side is |S11|=-40 dB.

With 1*H spacing to ground (with continous via) is |S11|=-32 dB.

2*H spacing yields |S11|=-50 dB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back