Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] question about Brent-Kung adder with Libero SmartGen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlon

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Using Libero's SmartGen tool, today I created a 16-bit Brent-Kung adder/subtractor. I pasted the resulting Verilog code into an ALU module and ran a few (10) tests against it. It ran fine. And the result was a LOT smaller than the one synthesized from pure behavioral Verilog. :)

But when I synthesized it with Synplify, the synthesis report showed that it removed numerous AND2 gates: "CL 168 Pruning instance AND2_xx -- not in use..." :-?

How can this be? I'd expect that a generated structural-modeled module like this would have only what is needed. Should I be worried?

Using Libero's SmartGen tool, today I created a 16-bit Brent-Kung adder/subtractor. I pasted the resulting Verilog code into an ALU module and ran a few (10) tests against it. It ran fine. And the result was a LOT smaller than the one synthesized from pure behavioral Verilog. :)

But when I synthesized it with Synplify, the synthesis report showed that it removed numerous AND2 gates: "CL 168 Pruning instance AND2_xx -- not in use..." :-?

How can this be? I'd expect that a generated structural-modeled module like this would have only what is needed. Should I be worried?

You can check whether the AND2 gate is redandunt or not through debussy (Verdi).
Thanks.

I don't have that tool available to me. I'm using the free Libero toolkit that came with the Actel IGLOO Nano kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back