Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about ADC(step size and the signal )

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamed

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi:

I have a question about ADC:
is there any equation or method to determine the maximum step size that can used to read a signal??

example if i have a signal(sine wave) of 1 Vp.p ,can i use ADC of step size 0.1 V?

It depends what you want to do with the digitized data e.g. do an FFT, record it for audio playback, measure the frequency ...

Different purposes will require different resolution.

Keith

It depends what you want to do with the digitized data e.g. do an FFT, record it for audio playback, measure the frequency ...

Different purposes will require different resolution.

Keith

i want to read signal and make filtering(low,band and stop filter)

Hello
the step size defines the resolution, the less step size mean higher resolution

Resolution=V full scale/ 2power (n)-1= step size
the full scale voltage is the maximum input analog signal amplitude
n: number of digital bits and also we call it resolution

so according to your application you can decide the resolution. for general data signal processing the good resolution is 8 bit and more.
if you are really sure that you want 0.1 step size, put this value in the above equation, it will give you a resolution of around 3 bit, now do you think 3 bit resolution is sufficient for your task????? it is now up to you

Status
Not open for further replies.