Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about a transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

akbar24

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to use the following transformer just to step down voltage from 120/5V:

**broken link removed**

I would like to know if I can use two different, seperate input voltages for this transformer?
ie. two different voltage sources, each 120V, and have each output different @ 5V

flatulent said:
Put the primaries in parallel for 110V and series for 220V.

Can you explain in more detail ?

The two primary method is very standard for transformers that are used in different countries. The diagram on the data sheet will have dots on one end of each primary winding. For use in a 110V country put the primaries in parallel with the dotted ends connected together and the not dotted ends connected together. Connect the 110V to the now two ends. For use in a 220V country connect the dotted end of one primary to the not dotted end of the other and apply the 220V to the free ends.

The way I understand Akbar's question, is can you use the transformer as if it were 2 transformers, ie 2 seperate inputs and 2 seperate outputs. The answer is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back