Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Query on constellation diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commbie

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, I have attached three different constellation diagrams, which I recorded from a software during my experimental work. If you guys look at the constellation, after normalization, QPSK maximum value is around 0.707, which is 1/sqrt(2). But I dont know why 16-QAM is maximum value is close to 0.9 and 64-QAM close to 1.3. I could not find any information on that, I thought after normalization for all constellation, the values will be below one and the maximum will be the same.

Please advice guys. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

View attachment 64-qam.bmpView attachment 16-qam.bmpView attachment qpsk.bmp

The essense of normalization is that you get the maximum = 1, and all other values are below it.
I'm not sure but maybe the point of constellation are placed in such manner to keep the average power equal for all modulations.
For example, split your 16-qam picture into four quadrants. The centers of them correspond to qpsk, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.